Stories are powerful ways to communicate deep things of the human experience in a way that touches us and makes us more human. Jesus is the perfect example of being a master storyteller, making His truth and teachings relatable and personal. We discuss how we can open our spiritual eyes to stories and movies to see how they speak of the bigger story of salvation and the longings of the human heart. We also share about how our owning our stories is key.
Visit www.ascensionpress.com/abidingtogether to subscribe to the shownotes and receive them in your email every Monday!
One Thing We Love This Week:
Sr. Miriam’s One thing - Clemson crushing Alabama in the National Football Championship
Michelle’s other one thing - Fr. Mike Schmitt’s talk from the Focus SEEK Conference. Watch it here at minute 45:35 - https://youtu.be/ZcBidOcLUsc
Heather's One Thing - Song “Highs and Lows” by Hillsong Young & Free https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEBOJMXqSdQ
1) What is your favorite story or movie that has parallels with the story of Salvation? Why do you love it so much?
2) Do you relate to the quote “for most of us, life feels like a movie we’ve arrived at 45 minutes late”? How connected to you feel to the larger story of Salvation in your daily life?
3) Have you ever wanted to take the pen out of God’s hand and write your own story? How do you need to grow in trust that He writes the best stories?
1) What do you think is your role to play right now in the story of Salvation?
2) What movies or books do you love? How do those relate to the Story of Salvation?
3) How are you pursuing truth, beauty, and goodness in the stories and movies you consume?
4) What are three themes of your life story? What does God want to say about that?
Quote to Ponder:
“A story is a way to say something that can't be said any other way." - Flannery O'Connor
Scripture for Lectio Divina - Psalm 139:13-16
For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.